Youro Theme Contest 14
|Youro Theme Contest 14|
|Final date||7 September 2018|
|Host city||Dragoria, The Kaju's|
|Number of entries||24|
|Debuting|| Blendison |
|Withdrawing|| Chibcha Republic |
|Voting system||10 favourites are awarded 12, 10, then 8 through 1 points by all participants.|
|Winning song|| Uff Da |
Kim Petras - Heart to Break
|Youro Theme Contest|
The Youro Theme Contest 14 is set to be the fourteenth edition of the Youro Theme Contest. The edition took place in Dragoria, The Kaju's after their victory in the previous edition with the song En Värld Full Av Strider performed by Jon Henrik Fjällgren Feat. Aninia. This was the first time that The Kaju's had won the contest and therefore the first time they hosted the contest.
A total of 24 countries competed in this edition, where Blendison and Iozenia debuted in the contest. Chibcha Republic, Hellheim, Ikana, Orange Island, Platonia, Renaoland and Volbaria did not compete in this edition. Due to the low amount of countries competing in this edition, there was no semi-final.
The contest was won by Uff Da with the song Heart to Break performed by Kim Petras. The song achieved a score of 114 points, 5 more points than the runner-up from Fire Island. This was the second time that Uff Da had won the contest after previously winning the 11th edition. They also became the second country to have won the contest twice.
Format[edit | edit source]
- Each edition in Youro Theme Contest consist of a theme chosen by the host broadcaster.
- If there are 28-37 countries competing, then there will be a semi-final and a final. The top 10 of the previous edition will be pre-qualified to the final, while the rest of the participants will compete in the semi-final. The amount of qualifiers depends on the number of semi-finalists:
- < 20 semi-finalists: The top 9 + IJ favourite will qualify (20 finalists)
- ≥ 20 semi-finalists: The top 12 + IJ favourite will qualify (23 finalists)
- If there are 38 or more participants, then the top 5 of the previous edition will be pre-qualified to the final. The rest of the participants are then split into two semi-finals with 10 qualifiers from each semi-final.
- The top 9 + IJ favourite will qualify for the final (25 finalists)
- There are no limits to how many times an artist can participate in the contest. But there are limitations when it comes to how often an artist can participate in the contest.
- If an artist has participated once, it must wait at least 2 rounds before it can return to the competition. This means that if the artist participated in YTC 12 or later it cannot participate in this edition.
- If an artist has participated more than once, it must wait at least 4 rounds before it can return to the competition. This means that if the artist participated in YTC 10 or later, it cannot participate before in YTC 15.
Theme[edit | edit source]
- Each country has to submit an entry that is performed by an artist or several artists where the majority of them have a name similar to you.
- The name doesn't have to be 100 % identical, but it has to be relatable.
- , For example, the name Karel is a given name in Dutch and Czech, equivalent to Charles, meaning Free Man. This means Karel could send an artist named Charles.
- Tho this edition we are not allowed to send worldwide hits or songs with more than 100 m views.
Voting[edit | edit source]
- All competing countries are obliged to vote in their own semi-final. Failing to do so will result in a disqualification of the entry and risk to lose their spot in the final and they will also receive a strike. However, they won't be banned from the next edition if they manage to vote in the final.
- The finalists are also obliged to vote in the semi-final but then as a part of the International Jury and they will decide one of the qualifiers. If a finalist forgets to vote in time, their entry will receive a penalty of minus 25% to their points in the final.
- All competing countries are obliged to vote in the final.
- Failing to vote in the semi-final or the final will result in a strike and a ban from the following edition. The amount of strikes determine the punishment given by the YBU. Strike or bans received in the semi-final will be deleted if the country votes in the final.
Returning Artists[edit | edit source]
The following artists are returning to the contest after previously competed in one of the earlier editions:
|Artist||Country||Previous edition||Previous country represented||Previous result|
|Celine Dion||Fire Island||YTC 1, YTC 6||Fire Island, The Kaju's||4th, 22nd (DNV)|
|Gwen Stefani||Arcorar||YTC 1||Teardrop Islands||13th|
|Pablo López (with Juanes)||Vovaltik||YTC 5||Limania||14th|
Participating countries[edit | edit source]
All participating countries are obliged to vote and the deadline to do so is 7 September @ 22:00 CEST
|1||Limania||Daniel Kajmakoski||Deset Leta||Macedonian||Daniel||4||86|
|4||Bartistan||Bartosz Chajdecki & Południce||Kołysanka Kruka||Polish||Bartłomiej||9||71|
|7||Phytopia||Woodkid||Land of All||English||Ion||6||76|
|8||Coco Islands||David Carreira||Domino||Portugesse||David||12||59|
|11||Esdonia||Stephane Legar||Comme ci comme ça||French||Stefan||14||53|
|12||Julbrendsen Isles||Ruby Rose & Gary Go||Guilty Pleasure||English||Gary||15||49|
|13||Mexerica||Richard Marx||Hold on to the Nights||English||Richard||20||33|
|14||Asgardia||Ólafur Arnalds ft. Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir||Particles||English||Olaf||7||74|
|15||Teardrop Islands||Charlie Puth feat. Kehlani||Done for Me||English||Karel||11||64|
|17||Limnoupolitana||Quman feat. Dimitris Papasinos||Legend||English||Dimitris||24||12|
|18||Uff Da||Kim Petras||Heart to Break||English||Kim||1||114|
|19||Iozenia||Aggelos Dionisiou||Oute Mia Stigmi||Greek||Angel||22||25|
|20||Vovaltik||Pablo López ft. Juanes||Tu Enemigo||Spanish||Pál||5||77|
|21||Fire Island||Celine Dion||Loved me back to life||English||Cel||2||109|
|22||Vivland||Eva Parmakova ft. Pavell & Venci Venc’||Ti Gubish||Bulgarian||Eva||23||23|
|23||The Kaju's||John Newman||Fire in Me||English||Youkhana||8||74|
Results[edit | edit source]
Final[edit | edit source]
12 Points[edit | edit source]
|N° of 12 points||Country||From|
|4||Fire Island||Asgardia, Bartistan, Limnoupolitana, Mexerica|
|3||Phytopia||Dacla, Hastwyn, Limania|
|2||Bartistan||Arcorar, Southern Slavonia|
|Hastwyn||Coco Islands, Blendison|
|Uff Da||Fire Island, Vovaltik|
|Vovaltik||Julbrendsen Isles, The Kaju's|
|Coco Islands||Uff Da|
Other countries[edit | edit source]
Eligibility for potential participation in the Youro Song Contest requires a national broadcaster with active YBU membership that would be able to broadcast the contest. The YBU will issue an invitation for participation in the contest to all active members. The following countries that competed in the 12th edition gave the following statements regarding their participation in this edition:
Withdrawing countries[edit | edit source]
The following countries have confirmed that they won't be competing in this edition:
- Chibcha Republic did not submit a song for this edition, but might return in the future.
- Hellheim did not submit a song for this edition, but might return in the future.
- Ikana failed to vote in the final of the previous edition, so they are not eligible to compete in this edition.
- Orange Island failed to vote in the final of the previous edition, so they are not eligible to compete in this edition.
- Platonia did not submit a song for this edition, but might return in the future.
- Renaoland failed to vote in the final of the previous edition, so they are not eligible to compete in this edition.
- Volbaria did not submit a song for this edition, but might return in the future.